Sunday, September 30, 2012

Podcast Intro/Webtext revision response

A:

  • Identify and explain the problem you are going to solve, and who cares about this problem:  The topic I will use as the focus of my podcast is labeling GMO food products. In my Webtext I have touched base with what a GMO is, the amount of GMO foods, the safety and research that is behind them, how prominent these foods have become in our food supply.  I plan to use the Podcast as a way to focus on the action of labeling genetically engineered foods.  I want to briefly discuss the argument in question (on both sides) and provide a way of action the listener can take.  The audience for this podcast will stay the same, but as this will be a  call to action this may only reach those of age to actually stand against GMO's. So specifically I want to focus on consumers of decision making age that have the ability to take action for the labeling of GMO foods.  
  • Describe the effects of the problem, and specify how the effects affect your audience:  The effects of this issue is unknowingly consuming controversial GE foods.  As my Webtext has also described, I believe in the right of the consumer to make a choice, but a choice has to be given in order for that to happen.  Labeling GE foods is paramount in giving the choice back to the consumer about what types of foods they want to eat. Easily connected then is this topic to my audience as they are the consumers unknowingly consuming controversial GMO's.  
  • Discuss the causes of the problem:  Some of the primary causes of the GMO labeling argument is corporate greed, consumer's lack of education of the topic, inaction towards it as a result of that education gap, and perhaps most troublesome; the bias community of leaders representing the FDA and USDA that all have previous ties or bias to the GE corporations that approve these foods for safe commercial use.  
  • Offer practical solutions to the problem:  A very simple and practical solution that any one can accomplish is making a voice.  By simply writing state congressmen, educating yourself and others on GMO foods and avoiding them, or even complaining straight to the corporations themselves are all valid options for getting GMO's on the food label.  The companies are living in  a world without laws governing their actions.  It is the consumers job to bring back order to these lawless corporations of greed.  
  • Include a working main point sentence:  Having a mandatory regulation of labeling GE foods is absolutely crucial to the consumer world as it provides a balance of consumer choice and corporate responsibility, based on consumer choice, to provide safe and healthy foods to the nation.  
  • Include two new sources that you haven't previously used:
-  Bitman, M.  (2011, February 15).  Why aren't G.M.O. foods labeled.  The New York Times.      
        Retrieved from  http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/02/15/why-arent-g-m-o-foods-labeled/

-  Maisto, M.  (2011, December 1).  With GMO labeling still missing, look for the opposition.  Forbes.  
        Retrieved from http://www.forbes.com/sites/michellemaisto/2011/12/01/with-gmo-labels-still-missing-look-for-the-opposite/

  • Since this podcast will eventually become part of your multimodal project, you should be specific regarding why the topic of your podcast is well-suited to an “oral” presentation and how it will complement your Webtext:  This particular topic s well suited for an oral presentation via podcast because there can be a level of passion and voice put into it that will help  grab the audience.  As I am obviously pro food labeling I can demonstrate the purpose of this action and portray a level of urgency.  I believe hearing a real voice on this subject will give the audience a real feeling of action rather than just reading words on the topic asking them to do something. As I have mentioned earlier in this response this topic of labeling GMO's is very well suited to the argument I have raised pertaining to the consumer right to choice.  


B:  
   Upon my consult with instructors I have gained a few bits of research and source knowledge that has already proved to be useful.  I did not consider using news articles of reputable newspapers such as The New York Times, or Forbes magazine.  This has opened up a whole new world of information and opinion that I can use to help facilitate my main ideas through out my Webtext.  Additionally, I was also shown how to place caption under my photos which I will now use as a way to relate my photos to the text.  Lastly, source citation and references were also discussed as I had not placed the into my Webtext at that point.  the use of this information will allow me to tweet my Webtext, and add additional information, so that the reader and smoothly traverse through my site and acquire useful and well placed information.  
   From my peer review, which was very helpful, I will work to refine my introduction so that is grabs the reader a little better.  I also need to add some subtitles so that the ideas have a clear start and finish point allowing for better transition of thought as the reader flows through my site.  Also, I will work to add in a bit of opposition through out my text.  I do not want to lose my credibility because I left out the opinion of those who appose my topic.  










1 comment:

  1. Hi Josh,

    Again, this is a very thorough blog entry. Nice work! The new focus of the podcast will tie in well with the research that you have already completed.

    One suggestion - as you continue to find sources for your piece, write out the annotated entries to save yourself time later in the semester.

    ReplyDelete